Scientist III / Senior Scientist, Upstream Process Development
Location: South San Francisco, CA
Position type: Full-time, Exempt
Five Prime Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ: FPRX) is a clinical-stage biotechnology company focused on discovering and developing innovative immuno-oncology protein therapeutics to alter the tumor microenvironment to enhance tumor cell killing. Our company has a growing portfolio of product candidates and currently has three protein therapeutics in clinical development.
- Cabiralizumab (FPA008) – a monoclonal antibody targeting CSF1R in a Phase 1/2 clinical trial in pigmented villonodular synovitis (PVNS) and in a Phase 1a/1b clinical trial in multiple cancers in combination with Bristol-Myers Squibb Company’s PD-1 immune checkpoint inhibitor, Opdivo® (nivolumab)
- FPA144 – a monoclonal antibody targeting FGFR2b in a Phase 1 clinical trial in FGFR2b over-expressing gastric cancer
- FP-1039 – an FGF ligand trap in a Phase 1b clinical trial in mesothelioma
Five Prime has a differentiated target discovery platform and library that we use to rapidly interrogate the entire extracellular proteome in medically relevant in vitro and in vivo models to discover novel targets and drug leads. Our technology has been validated by our growing pipeline and through multiple collaborations with pharmaceutical companies, including Bristol-Myers Squibb, UCB Pharma, S.A. and GlaxoSmithKline across a range of therapeutic areas. FivePrime is committed to innovation and outstanding science, values that are reflected in our people and our products. Discover more about FivePrime at www.fiveprime.com.
We are currently seeking a highly innovative and experienced Ph.D. level scientist to join our Process Development group. This position reports to the Director of Process Development.
- Design and execute experiments to develop and characterize upstream processes for our therapeutic candidates using small-scale bioreactors
- Guide internal and external studies to enable scale-up of our upstream processes in support of Tech Transfer
- Engage in cell line development activities including: developing expression systems, performing transfections, screening stable pools, and evaluating cell lines for suitability in the cGMP production of therapeutic candidates. Identify, evaluate and implement new technologies across multiple process development workflows to expand our internal toolbox and revise our platform processes
- Author technical reports including Process Development Protocols, Development Reports, Tech Transfer Reports, and regulatory submissions
- Serve as the technical lead on external tech transfers, playing an active role in Tech Transfer
- Represent the Process Development group in cross-functional teams and coordinate key CMC-related activities in support of advancing corporate objectives
- Coach and develop direct report(s) to maximize their potentials
- Advanced degree in Biochemical Engineering or related biology fields with:
- > 8 years of relevant experience with Ph.D.
- Working knowledge of cGMP guidelines is highly preferred.
- Extensive cell culture experience is a must. DNA cloning, vector design and construction, and genetic characterization of production cell banks is preferred.
- Technical knowledge in Design of Experiment (DOE) and data analysis is highly preferred.
- People management experience preferred.
- Experience in lab automation for high-throughput screening, or combination of lab automation and cell culture development is a plus.
- Must have excellent scientific written and interpersonal communication skills and be highly collaborative.
- Must have excellent presentation skill to articulate key messages and findings. Must be able to work independently in a fast paced environment with rapidly change priorities.
Please upload your cover letter & resume.