Scientist lll / Senior Scientist, Molecular Biology
Location: South San Francisco, CA
Position type: Full-time, Exempt
Five Prime Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ: FPRX) is a clinical-stage biotechnology company focused on discovering and developing innovative immuno-oncology protein therapeutics to alter the tumor microenvironment to enhance tumor cell killing. Our company has a growing portfolio of product candidates and currently has three protein therapeutics in clinical development.
- Cabiralizumab (FPA008) – a monoclonal antibody targeting CSF1R in a Phase 1/2 clinical trial in pigmented villonodular synovitis (PVNS) and in a Phase 1a/1b clinical trial in multiple cancers in combination with Bristol-Myers Squibb Company’s PD-1 immune checkpoint inhibitor, Opdivo® (nivolumab)
- FPA144 – a monoclonal antibody targeting FGFR2b in a Phase 1 clinical trial in FGFR2b over-expressing gastric cancer
- FP-1039 – an FGF ligand trap in a Phase 1b clinical trial in mesothelioma
Five Prime has a differentiated target discovery platform and library that we use to rapidly interrogate the entire extracellular proteome in medically relevant in vitro and in vivo models to discover novel targets and drug leads. Our technology has been validated by our growing pipeline and through multiple collaborations with pharmaceutical companies, including Bristol-Myers Squibb, UCB Pharma, S.A. and GlaxoSmithKline across a range of therapeutic areas. FivePrime is committed to innovation and outstanding science, values that are reflected in our people and our products. Discover more about FivePrime at www.fiveprime.com.
We are seeking a Scientist III/ Senior Scientist to join the Molecular Biology team within the Biotherapeutic Department. The successful candidate will have extensive experience in molecular biology, protein biochemistry, cell biology and significant exposure to NGS and immunology. This individual’s ideas and contributions from a molecular engineering perspective will have a major impact on Five Prime R&D programs. This position reports to the VP, Biotherapeutic.
- Design and build molecular constructs for expression of proteins and nucleic acids in mammalian cells using a variety of expression modalities, including transient and stable DNA transfection, mRNA, and viral transduction.
- Design recombinant proteins and antibodies using bacterial and mammalian expression systems for use in vitro and in vivo.
- Drive platform technology development projects in molecular and cellular engineering, including library generation, screening strategies, cellular assay development, and genome editing technologies.
- Collaborate with drug discovery scientists to understand technology development needs and to transition technology development projects into pipeline programs.
- Operate and supervise the Molecular team and workflows, and provide on-going coaching and mentoring
- Other projects/ duties as needed.
- Ph.D. with 5 years of experience in modulating or engineering biological systems, preferably with at least 3+ years of experience in a drug-discovery industry setting.
- Fluency and practical knowledge of modern synthetic biology techniques and state of the art molecular biology software.
- Expertise in antibody and therapeutic protein production is preferred
- Prior experience leading employees is required
- Experience working with microfluidics, automated workflows and flow cytometry, is desirable
- Experience in working with CROs is also a plus
- Proven track record of project leadership and scientific innovation.
- An independent, flexible, high-energy expert in molecular engineering/synthetic biology.
- Expertise in recombinant protein expression using various hosts.
- Must possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills to facilitate interactions with a highly interdisciplinary team.
- Knowledge of immune modulation pathways is preferred.
- Strong proficiency in molecular engineering (some combination of protein engineering, CRISPR, cloning, screening strategies, library generation)
- Expertise in assay development is a plus
Please upload your cover letter & resume.